What to learn from Chennai?
No, I am not talking about the administrative issues, drainage, political issues or even environmental issues. I am talking about the SPIRIT of Chennai. In this difficult time of natural calamity, the people of Chennai have come out united as ONE common force with the aim of helping one another.
- Many Chennaites opened their homes to stranded strangers.
- People are seen helping one another irrespective of one’s religion or economic status.
- Stranded people are being considerate about relief materials and food packets. No hoarding seen.
- Many youngsters arranging rescue mission teams on personal levels.
- Some people arranging for divers and swimmers to pull out people from flooded areas.
- Someone created a website in a few hours to channelize better communication.
- Malls and hotels are seen sheltering people.
I do not see any hysterics or or angry outbursts from Chennaites. I don’t see people making a quick buck taking advantage of the demand-supply imbalance. What I see is the SOLIDARITY of the people of Chennai in silently, diligently and persistently helping others in this hour of crisis.
Hats off to the people of Chennai! We are so proud of you.
This is what our culture is all about.